Independent studies show, that despite the energy many agencies, interviewers and candidates put into job interviews, they are actually a rather fallible tool for measuring future performance.
After recruiting a new member for the team, many employers are disappointed to find, that the model answers given in the interview do not provide an insight into the candidate’s on-the-job technical and business skills - crucially the ones that make the difference between success and failure.
How testing avoids against discrimination
Testing candidates is an excellent way to avoid discrimination claims in recruitment.
Types of discrimination: Race, Sex, Sexual orientation, Disability, Age, Maternity/Pregnancy, Gender reassignment, Religion or belief, Marriage/Civil partnership
Discrimination definitions: Direct, Indirect, Perceptive, Associative
Why Companies Should Use Candidate Testing...
- Making recruitment mistakes can be very costly to any organisation, testing can help to make the right choice first time.
- More objective selection can help defend against discrimination claims (current legislation for a range of discriminations - age, sex, race, religion, disability and sexual orientation).
- Recruitment agencies do not test candidates.
- Testing can prove (or disprove) candidate claims about experience and understanding.
- Testing can quickly cover a broad range of technical skills. Leaving the interview time free for the assessment of other skills and qualities.
- Testing can assess a candidate’s ability to work under pressure (time pressure in the case of testing).
- More effective and objective pre selection (for interview) can be achieved with testing. This can save the recruitment team time and energy.
- Avoid over reliance on interviews. Compliments the interview process.
- Save valuable time by screening out low performer’s pre interview.
- The tests are online so they can be taken at the candidate’s convenience (location and time (available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, and 365 days per year).
- Comprehensive results analysis gives a detailed insight into the strengths and weaknesses of candidates.
- Assessing candidates against national results (percentile measure as well as actual score) will allow a relative measure not previously available to companies. This can help your organisation get the most intelligent candidates in the market.
- Test current employees to use as a benchmark against new recruits.
- Tests can be used as a quick minimum standard screen for incoming temporary staff.
Why Recruitment Agencies Should Use Candidate Testing...
- In the fiercely competitive marketplace agencies need a USP – offering tests and/or pre testing candidates can be one USP.
- Clients expect more for less these days and therefore there is high pressure on fees – low cost tests could be one way to justify your fee levels and maintain margins.
- Reduce the cost of attrition (refunds, free replacements and / or damaged reputation).
- If clients test they should make less costly selection mistakes.
- Save valuable time by quickly grading candidates to offer to clients.
- Help your clients see fewer candidates and save everyone time by assessing skills before any interviews.
- Adding value when sending over CV’s and / or discussing candidates (i.e. their test results).
- Assessing candidates against national results will impress clients and allow them to benchmark their candidates against a wider group.
- Eliminate the lower quality candidates from your database and avoid the embarrassment of promoting them to clients.
- Promote the ‘stars’ (i.e. candidates with high test scores) to clients, on a speculative basis, with more than just your subjective opinion.
- Tests are properly tailored and cover a broad range of levels and jobs – many new tests being developed – general and specialist tests as well as scenarios for higher level staff.
- Tests are very easy to administer – online (web), taken anywhere the candidate can access the internet (e.g. at home), a URL is sent by e-mail, analysed results are sent back to agency, client and candidate in a short period of time – no effort required from the agency other than the initial order to test a candidate (again simply by email).
- Clients own tests can be administered on mass.