Benefits of testing
With the ever-increasing workloads of modern life, finding the time to interview potential new employees can become a burden for any recruiter. There is no time to waste on bad interviews, which in turn puts pressure on finding suitable candidates first time around, making shortlisting essential.
Testing can quickly cover a broad range of technical skills proving (or disproving) candidates' claims against their CV and whether they have the expertise and understanding they claim to have. This can provide an insight into the candidate’s on-the-job technical and business skills - crucially the ones that make the difference between success and failure.
How testing avoids against discrimination
Testing candidates is an excellent way to avoid discrimination claims in recruitment.
Types of discrimination: Race, Sex, Sexual orientation, Disability, Age, Maternity/Pregnancy, Gender reassignment, Religion or belief, Marriage/Civil partnership
Discrimination definitions: Direct, Indirect, Perceptive, Associative
Why Companies Should Use Candidate Testing...
- Making recruitment mistakes can be very costly to any organisation, testing can help to make the right choice first time.
- More objective selection can help defend against discrimination claims (current legislation for a range of discriminations - age, sex, race, religion, disability and sexual orientation).
- To ensure consistent testing methods if you are using multiple recruiters
- Testing can prove (or disprove) candidate claims about experience and understanding.
- Testing can quickly cover a broad range of technical skills. Leaving the interview time free for the assessment of other skills and qualities.
- Testing can assess a candidate’s ability to work under pressure (time pressure in the case of testing).
- More effective and objective pre selection (for interview) can be achieved with testing. This can save the recruitment team time and energy.
- Avoid over reliance on interviews. Compliments the interview process.
- Save valuable time by screening out low performer’s pre interview.
- The tests are online so they can be taken at the candidate’s convenience (location and time (available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, and 365 days per year).
- Comprehensive results analysis gives a detailed insight into the strengths and weaknesses of candidates.
- Assessing candidates against national results (percentile measure as well as actual score) will allow a relative measure not previously available to companies. This can help your organisation get the most intelligent candidates in the market.
- Test current employees to use these for benchmarking new recruits.
- Tests can be used as a quick minimum standard screen for incoming temporary staff.
Benefits to Companies...
- Get the brightest staff with the skills for the job
- Save time with pre-selection
- Decrease recruitment risk by objective testing
- Save cost
Why Recruitment Agencies Should Use Candidate Testing...
- In the fiercely competitive marketplace agencies need be seen to be adding value to the recruitment process -pre-testing candidates provides a more holistic picture of the candidate.
- Reduce the cost of attrition (refunds, free replacements and / or damaged reputation).
- If clients test they should make less costly selection mistakes.
- Save valuable time by quickly grading candidates to offer to clients.
- Help candidates identify areas for personal development to help them become a genuine contender.
- Adding value when sending over CV’s and / or discussing candidates (i.e. their test results).
- Assessing candidates against national results will impress clients and allow them to benchmark their candidates against a wider group.
- Eliminate the lower quality candidates from your database and avoid the embarrassment of promoting them to clients.
- Promote the ‘stars’ (i.e. candidates with high test scores) to clients, on a speculative basis, with more than just your subjective opinion.
- Tests are properly tailored and cover a broad range of levels and jobs – many new tests being developed – general and specialist tests as well as scenarios for higher level staff.
- Tests are very easy to administer – online (web), taken anywhere the candidate can access the internet (e.g. at home), a URL is sent by e-mail, analysed results are sent back to agency, client and candidate in a short period of time – no effort required from the agency other than the initial order to test a candidate (again simply by email).
- Clients own tests can be administered on mass.
No minimum volumes.
Benefits to Recruitment Agencies...
- Differentiate your agency from the competition
- Justify your fee levels by value add screening
- Low cost online testing with automatic results and analysis
- Save time by quickly grading candidates